The weekend of May 27th and 28th was the Heroes & Villain Fanfest in London. The event which could not be missed for all fans of the Arrowverse, Gotham and Captain America. However if you did miss it and/or you did not have the opportunity to go, don’t panic, we got you covered! We were there and here is a recap of this great weekend!
The Heroe & Villain Fanfest is an event created by the fans for fans and we were not disappointed. Many actors were present from different series and fans had the opportunity to meet them for autographs, photo shoots or ask questions during panels. The atmosphere was very relaxed, the actors/actresses were at ease/extremely nice, the panels were for very funny … In short, the atmosphere was excellent. Add to that goodies / posters / drawings stalls and lots of fans in cosplay and you get the HVFF. Let’s go back on this weekend in more details.
Unlike comic-con, the HVFF is not used to bring “news” about the series but rather to create links between actors and fans. And actors indeed there was…
Among the cast of Arrow, fans met Stephen Amell (Oliver Queen / Arrow), Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak), John Barrowman ( Malcom Merlyn), Josh Segarra (Adrian Chase), Katie Cassidy (Laurel) Colin Donnell (Tommy Merlyn), Michael Rowe (Deadshot) and Charlotte Ross (Donna Smoak).
The cast of Gotham was also well represented with David Mazouz (Bruce Wayne), Sean Pertwee (Alfred Pennyworth), Jessica Lucas (Tabitha), Drew Powell (Butch), Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald Cobblepot) and Milo Ventimiglia (The Ogre).
There were also actors from The Flash such as Robbie Amell (Firestorm) and Shantel VanSanten (Patty Spivot), from Supergirl with Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen) and Italia Ricci (Siobhan Smythe), Legends of Tomorrow with Brandon Routh (Atom) and Maisie Richardson-Sellers (Vixen) as well as from Guardians of the Galaxy with Sean Gunn (Kraglin) and Michael Rooker (Yondu).
Finally, there was Richard Brake who plays The Night King in Game Of Throne, Matt Ryan the actor who portrays Constantine in the eponymous series, Stanley Tucci known for his role as Dr Erskine in Captain America and Hayley Atwell who played Peggy Carter in The Marvel Agent Carter series.
In order to make reading easier, this article only concerns the FIRST day and details of each panel will be given. On Saturday there were 2 panels. The first was with John Barrowman and the second about Gotham. A second article is available on the second day with a detail of the panels of Stephen Amell, Captain America, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow.
The first panel was held by John Barrowman known, among others, for his role in Dr Who, Torchwood and more recently Arrow. It was a great beginning because John was excellent: as funny as you can imagine, honest, he answered many questions about different series, did not hesitate to share anecdotes of his life or behind the scenes and even sang a song! on the cake: He appeared on stage with a dress of the Tardis( Dr Who) and very high heels!
Here’s what we’ve learned:
- The first question was about his Arrow departure and how John would have liked Merlyn to leave the Arrowverse. For him, the perfect end would have been to see Oliver and Merlyn have sex against the salmon ladder … Needless to say that this first answer quickly gave the amusing tone of the rest of the panel!
- If a Torchwood movie were to be created, John would love to fight Cyberman
- He has no preference between playing a hero or a villain but he admits that he loved playing Merlyn – a villain.
- John would have liked Merlyn to come out of the shadows and go to jail for all the crimes he has committed. He believes that by going to jail, Merlyn would have been able to come back to Starling City and help Oliver without hiding anymore and truly show himself.
- John would like Captain Jack and River Song (Dr Who) to meet again although it would create a lot of tension.
- Finally, John also told a lot of anecdotes and stories. We learn that he is passionate about cars, that he loves to talk about the series for which he works and talk with his fans, that he loves to prank his colleagues, that his farts do not stink (yes you’ve read that correctly) which allows him to fart while filming, that every morning he gets up very happy to be able to live his dream of being an actor and finally that he would have loved to work with Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.
The second panel was about Gotham and, once again, the actors were very comfortable. There was very little news about the next season because the cast did not want to spoil the fans with the last season but we’ve had the chance to get a few pieces of information and a fair amount of anecdotes!
- At the end of season 3, Bruce will make a crucial decision about his future … And although David does not know if we will see the transformation into Batman, he admits that he would love to be able to play this superhero!
- Robin thinks it would be very interesting to see the Penguin lose its means and strength. He would like to see him become more “animal” and more ferocious.
- For David, the virus that spreads to Gotham will have an impact on Bruce’s character. Indeed, David is convinced that it will enrage Bruce almost dramatically and dangerously and that he may do things that he will regret.
- A fan asked Milo if there will be a revival on Girlmore Girls … What the actor says he does not think because he sees the series as a “classified case” and thinks it is too old to be able to come back.
- Finally we learn that David has pajamas with Christian Bale (the portraying actor Batman in the movies), that he likes the idea of a relationship with Celina and that before being actor Robin was telemarke … For two days !
In addition, there was a great Cosplay contest where many fans gathered to showcase their great costumes. Every age, every universe, whether they were heroes or wicked, everything was there!
As you can see, the first day was quite full and very funny. Hundreds of fans stood in line waiting to meet actors, get autographs and photoshoots. Some actors even agreed to take selfies with autographs and most of them always took the time to chat with fans! Long story short? Awesome first day!